Tuesday 31 March 2015

Tutorial: Invisible Half Double Crochet Decrease

Good Morning!

2015 is a tough year so far... My Granny died last Sunday, less than 3 months after my granddad. I feel very sad but also very lucky I got to have her in my life for so long. Also, I am happy that she is now with my grand-dad - she longed for that in the last weeks.

She had my blanket with her all the time. That made me feel really close to her and I felt very connected to her. Making blankets for loved ones is such a wonderful thing!

* * * * * * *

Anyway, as my granny was really into crochet, I am sure she would like me posting a tutorial in her memory...

If you are following us on Instagram or Facebook, you already know that I am working on a new beanie design. I had to learn the hdc invisible decrease stitch which is pretty easy once you get it. However, I wasn't too fond of the tutorials around for it on the web, so I decided to write one up myself. Here is goes...

Tutorial 



When you use traditional hdc decrease stitches it will be visible as seen in the following pic.


The aim of the invisible decrease is to make the decrease look like a normal stitch. For this you will work into the front loops of the two stitches from you previous row. I marked them in the following two pics.


 

Yarn over and insert the hook into the front loop of the first stitch. Don't pull through, do not yarn over again. You now have three loops on the hook.

Insert the hook into the front loop of the second stitch. You now have four loops on the hook (as seen in the next two pictures). 



 Yarn over hook, then pull the yarn through the two front loops. You now have three loops on the hook.


Pull the yarn through the remaining three loops. And voila! Your invisible decrease is finished!



Pretty clever, ey? I love the invisible decreases and certainly won't ever go back to normal ones!

* * * * * * *

 Take care
Anne

20 comments :

  1. Oh I'm so sad for you and your relatives .... Courage ! Yes 2015 is a really tough year ... not very funny events all around ... You've found the strenght to write a tuto and publish it .... very kind from you Anna !!! Kind regards, géraldine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope the rest of 2015 will be nicer! :)

      Delete
  2. Thank you for this tutorial, I must try :)
    I am sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Hope you enjoy the tutorial!

      Delete
  3. Oh Anne I am so very sorry to hear that you have lost your grandmother so soon after your grandfather-that is so very sad-they must have loved each other very much and you can take comfort in knowing that she wished to be re-united with him. Your crochet is so beautiful and will be the therapy to help you through these tough times. What a great tutorial-I was looking how to make my decreases neater so this is so useful-thank you. Take care xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She really wanted to be reunited with him, so I am happy for her she could go without long suffering! Married for 66 years....

      Delete
  4. What a beautiful tribute to your grandmother! I am so sorry for your loss.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure she would enjoy it :) Thanks for your kind words!

      Delete
  5. I'm sorry for your loss! :( my grandma died in January and she used to crochet too. I never got around to talk to her about it, that's going to bother me forever!
    Greetings, EmmA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sorry to hear about your grandmum! It is so sad to loose them :( My grandmum was into making pot holders in the last couple of years. Each family member now has at least 4 sets... :P

      Delete
  6. I'm so sorry to hear about your granny - she must have got a lot of comfort from the blanket you made her. Thank you for sharing this tutorial in her memory - a fitting tribute to a lady who loved to crochet :)
    Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! I am sure she would love the idea!

      Delete
  7. So sorry to hear about your granny, she was obviously a wonderful lady! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! She will be greatly missed

      Delete
  8. Hi Anne, Sorry to hear about the passing of your granny ,
    Hugs from me,
    Jillxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Anne, sorry to hear about your granny but she's now with your granddad and not missing him which must be a comfort. Love and hugs, Susie x ps that's a nifty little decrease trick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true - she really wanted to be reunited with my granddad!

      Delete
  10. Dear Anne, I am so sorry that you have lost both your grandparents so closely together this year. I am so glad you finished your blanket for your granny in time for her to get good use of it. She would have treasured your beautiful, lovingly crocheted blanket. You are lucky to have had that crochet connection with her. I am so sorry for your loss. caring hugs at this difficult time xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The blanket was buried with her, so it will keep her warm for a much longer time :)

      Delete